“Together! 2012 is a launch pad rocketing culture in Newham to the skies.” Disability Arts Online
Together! 2012 CIC is a social enterprise led by disabled artists to create a lasting and meaningful Paralympic cultural Legacy in the main Host Borough of Newham, which is one of the poorest parts of the UK and has the lowest level of arts engagement in the country. We were founded in March 2013 with the support of the UK Disabled People’s Council (UKDPC). We forefront Paralympic values of excellence, striving for achievement, international friendship and the triumph of the human spirit, and work to:
- Promote the rights of disabled people to access the arts on an equal basis, both as artists and as audience members, and to be resourced to organise and participate in their own cultural activities, as outlined in Article 30 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- Promote and provide access to free high-quality, disabled-led arts events and activities for disabled people and their families, carers, PAs, support workers and companions, from the London Borough of Newham and beyond, particularly art and culture that reflects and relates to the experiences and world views of disabled people. This includes organizing events and activities directly; contracting to provide events and activities on behalf of third parties; and promoting events and activities organized by third parties.
- Promote activities where participants gain lasting benefits, including increased self-esteem and self-confidence and wider social networks, as well as increased skills and experience in the arts.
- Promote disabled artists and their work, both to disabled-majority and to inclusive audiences, in Newham, nationally, and internationally.
- Promote the development of and capacity build the Disability Arts sector in Newham, through the provision of support and expertise to existing disabled-led arts groups and the development of new groups and organizations.
- Promote the employment and self-employment of disabled people in the arts, including through the provision of employment, self-employment, training and volunteering opportunities, and the provision of opportunities to promote and sell artists’ and makers’ work.
- Promote access and inclusion for disabled people within ‘mainstream’ arts, including within arts education and training and through the provision of consultancy and training services, as well as campaigning and awareness-raising.
- Promote disabled people’s organizations, through joint working, the provision of activities at disabled-led events, and capacity building and other work to strengthen the sector, to ensure that disabled people have all of the support and services they require to be fully included in their communities and reach their full potential.
- Promote the wider values of the UN Convention on the Rights of Disabled People, empowering disabled people by providing role models and encouraging them to visualise themselves as achievers and leaders and valued members of the community.
- Promote the London Borough of Newham as the most diverse and accessible borough in the country, and facilitate it to become an international centre of excellence for Disability Arts.
Click here to find out more about the policies and procedures that we use to further our aims and objectives.
We are currently searching for funding, and also need more volunteers to help us to deliver our activities. You can make a donation to support our work by clicking the ‘Donate’ button at the bottom of this page, or email us on email@example.com or call 07973 252751 for more information or to volunteer.