These lanterns make great decorations for any home. Hang them up, or place them over a battery operated tea light.
- A sheet of plain or coloured paper (if you want to decorate your lantern), or a piece of recycled gift wrap or an old magazine or catalogue page (but beware of paper that is too thin)
- A pair of safety scissors
- Sellotape or a glue stick
- Coloured pencils or crayons if you want to decorate your lantern.
1) Decorate your paper if you want to (in the video I’ve done a scribble design).
2) Cut a thin strip off one of the shorter ends of the paper to use as the handle.
3) Fold the paper together lengthways, with the decorated surface on the outside.
4) Cut some wide slits halfway into the folded side, leaving some space at each end. Then cut a narrower slit at each end, so it’s not too bulky when joined together.
5) Open it out, and sellotape or glue the ends of the paper together.
6) Finally, join the handle onto the insides of one end – this is the fiddly bit!